Family travel no longer means hours in the car heading to grandma’s house, the same beach house or mountain cabin. A multitude of options exist to fit your budget, vacation time, interests and ages. Family travel is about sharing experiences and time; to learn about each other and the destination; and to laugh and enjoy.
Tips for Successful Family Vacations
- Include all family members in the planning. When everyone gets a say in the trip, each person in more likely to enjoy the trip.
- Incorporate activities specifically for each family member so they will look forward to their activity and not feel like they are doing only things others want.
- Include unplanned time each day to rest, deal with delays and/or take advantage of unexpected discoveries.
- Be willing to divide family so parents spend focused time with children or and doing favorite activities.
- Know and respect your family’s schedule, rhythm and tolerances. Don’t fall into the “this is a once in a lifetime” trip that leads to over scheduling and “should do” sightseeing of interest to no one.
- Leverage the objectivity of Wizard of Odysseys to help create consensus and allow all the members of the family to enjoy the trip.