Educational travel does not mean boring. At Wizard of Odysseys, our goal is to excite everyone in the family about travel. Our definition of educational travel includes visiting a college student while they study abroad to volunteer travel and expedition cruises. We will design a trip especially for you or suggest a tour with one of our partners.
Suggestions for Successful Educational Experiences
- Keep the interests of the travelers at the forefront. If there is little or no interest, true fun is hard to achieve. If this is a trip about which the parents have dreamed of taking the children, but they have no interest, forego the destination for now.
- Informal learning while travel can yield the same level of benefit as a formal educational tour. Take advantage of opportunities when on your own. Leverage the learning styles of each traveler.
- Think out of the box to make things fun. For example, find gargoyles at Notre Dame that resemble members of the family; take a gladiator class in Rome; learn the “haka” (Maori war dance) in New Zealand. Remember, that education extends far beyond the classroom.
- Plan in 6-9 months advance for school holidays, particularly for educational tours as these have limited availability and often fill many months in advance.
Suggestions for Educational Experiences
- Lindblad Expeditions
- Smithsonian Journeys
- National Geographic Expeditions
- Cross Cultural Solutions
- Austin Lehman Adventures